It was the night before Christmas, when all through the house. Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
Whoever wrote this was actually not a privy to the big family celebrations that we’ve become accustomed to. Where everyone rolls in a couple of days before the big day. So you aren’t even planning for one big day but several! Several days of kids running around playing, catching up on all the family stories and gossip. Seeing old friends, last minute trips to the mall for last minute gifts for last minute guests. It seems that sometimes even when you think you have everything planned to a ’T’ a little something happens and you can find yourself back at square one. It’s a lot to handle, even for the most experienced Christmas dinner veteran. So what can you do to stave off the stress, so you can just sit back and enjoy the company without running around like a chicken, with it’s head cut off?
Get some snacks ready
- Fill your Vacuvita Home Base with fresh rolls and bread
- Fill the fridge with some nice cheeses for a nice cheese plank
- Make some dips and flavour infused butters to eat with crackers and toast
- Make cookies beforehand and keep them fresh in our vacuum containers
Not unlike with any big holiday meal the more you prepare ahead of time, the more time you have to actually enjoy with your friends and family.
- Use our large vacuum seal bags to prepare sous vide veggies for the big day. When the day arrives use your sous vide machine to cook them all while you sit and relax with some good company and wait for the roast to cook, or the ham, turkey… you name it!
- Get that quintessential holiday drink ready!
Griswold family Eggnog
Ingredients (6 cups)
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
another 4 egg whites
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color.
Gradually adding 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved.
Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.
Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Whisk the egg whites into the initial mixture.
Chill and serve.
And with that our Vacuvita team wish you the hap-hap-happiest of holidays. Have a rest and some eggnog and enjoy a lovely time with your friends and family!